Maine law requires homeschoolers who have filed letters of intent to homeschool to submit the results of assessments, annually, to both their local superintendent's office and the Maine Department of Education in Augusta at the end of each school year, no later than September 1.
The following are the legal options for annual assessment:
1. Reveiw and acceptance of progress by: (a) a Maine certified teacher; (b) a homeschool support group that includes for this purpose a Maine certified teacher or administrator who has reviewed a portfolio of the student’s work; or (c) a local advisory board appointed by the superintendent composed of two homeschool teachers and one school official (must be arranged with school system before school year starts).
2. Official results of any national standardized achievement test; or
3. Results of a test developed by local school officials.
Support your state homeschool organization with a HOME Portfolio Evaluation!
Homeschoolers of Maine (HOME) provides a convenient method for annual assessment, which fulfills the requirements of our homeschool statute. Portfolio reviews through HOME are easy, inexpensive, and require a minimal amount of preparation for the homeschooling parent! By participating in a portfolio review through HOME, you will also be supporting your state homeschool organization! (Click here, to find out why supporting HOME is so important.)
HOME Portfolio Reviews are offered two ways:
1. Mail-in or Drop-off your portfolio for review. The printable Portfolio Evaluation Packet provides assembly instructions, helpful tips, a wide variety of record keeping pages, and all essential information needed to complete and prepare a portfolio to mail-in or drop-off for individual review by a Maine certified teacher.
To participate, complete the pre-registration form included in the packet below, and mail it to HOME by June 1 to take advantage of the early-bird discount.
2. Participate in a group portfolio review session. Are you looking for encouragement and support in your homeschool journey? Are you a brand new homeschooler looking for ideas and guidance? Participate in a group portfolio review day! This is an opportunity to fellowship with other homeschoolers in a group setting, and share what homeschooling was like for your family during the past year. A Maine certified teacher and a veteran homeschool leader will facilitate discussion, answer any questions you may have, and provide you with a signed letter of evaluation to submit to the Maine Department of Education and your local superintendent. Come to learn, connect and uplift one another!
Note: Since this is a group setting, this option for review does not allow time for individual input from the certified teacher. If you would like your portfolio review to include more direct input from the certified teacher, the mail in review option would be a better fit!
To participate, you will need to complete a pre-registration form, and mail it to HOME. Space is limited for these sessions, so please register early using the pre-registration form in the packet below. You will also need to complete and bring the Group Portfolio Review Packet. Click here to find out when our next group review session is being held.
To participate, please follow these steps:
Option 1 - Mail-in or drop-off your completed portfolio to HOME by July 1, OR bring your portfolio to be reviewed during Adventure Weekend. Portfolios that arrive after July 1 may be charged a late fee.
Option 2 - Bring the required information to the Group Portfolio Review Session that you pre-registered for. Be prepared to share progress and achievements, as well as challenges. For more information on upcoming Portfolio Review Days click here.
3. Portfolio Evaluation Cost for Pre-registerd Participants: $39 per child for those who are members of Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). Portfolio evaluations are $49 for non-members. An HSLDA application can be requested from the HOME Office at 207-763-2880.
Fees are not refunded.
Scholarships: If you or someone you know needs help covering a portfolio review, please contact the HOME Office in writing (an email is acceptable). We may be able to offer some assistance. Please submit a letter explaining your situation. Do not call. You will be notified regarding your eligibility.
To learn more about HOME Scholarships please visit the Scholarship section of our website by clicking here.
Standardized achievement testing is another method of annual assessment that fulfills the assessment obligation under Maine homeschool law. Standardized testing is available to students and
families throughout the year at the HOME office, both for personal information and for annual assessment purposes.
Standardized testing dates are scheduled for all grades beginning in mid-May through mid-June. Call the HOME office before April 15 to reserve your space. Individual testing dates may be scheduled at any time throughout the year.
When using this option for annual assessment purposes, please plan ahead in order to comply with the law in a timely manner. Schedule tests in the spring, if possible. Test orders and test results sometimes take weeks to arrive, especially during the late spring and summer months. Assessment results are due in to the local school superintendent and Maine Department of Education by September 1. Follow these steps to participate in achievement testing through HOME:
Contact the HOME Office for testing fees (207-763-2880). Fees will vary.
Order the appropriate test through HOME.
Schedule testing dates through HOME.
Talk to your child about what the experience will be like, and suggest test strategies.
Make sure your child is well rested, is not ill and has a healthy meal before testing.
Encourage your child to put forth his best effort.
Plan for a special treat after testing!