With his parents, Franklin D. Roosevelt spent many enjoyable summers on this small Canadian island in the Bay of Fundy. His parents, and later he, his wife Eleanor, and their children were attracted to Campobello Island for the ample opportunities for outdoor recreation. Franklin shared with his family the same active pursuits he enjoyed on the island as child. The beloved retreat shaped Franklin into a great leader, and encouraged Eleanor to become an independent woman. Join HOME as we explore this international treasure in our own backyard!
Location: Roosevelt Campobello International Park, Campobello Island, New Brunswick (Canada)
Date: September 22, 2017
Schedule (times are based on the Atlantic Time Zone):
* 10:00am - Meet at the Edmund S. Muskie Visitor Centre for an orientation and introductory film.
* 10:30am - Roosevelt Cottage tour
* 11:00am - Bog nature area tour
* 12:00 noon - Enjoy a hot dog picnic with an accompanying story about how Eleanor fed the King and Queen of England hot dogs! (HOME will provide the hot dogs, rolls, condiments and chips. Please bring your own beverages and additional food items, including substitutes for food allergies and sensitivities.) Croquet, hack sack and Frisbee will be set up so that children can play at their leisure.
* 1:00pm - Tea with Eleanor
* Hike to Friar's Head
Directions: Take Route 189 to Lubec and cross the FDR Memorial Bridge to Campobello Island. The visitor center is located approximately two miles from the bridge. Click here for directional details.
Changing Time Zones: The Roosevelt Campobello International Park is in the Province of New Brunswick, Canada. New Brunswick, including Campobello, is in the Atlantic Time Zone, one hour ahead of the Eastern Time Zone. Consequently, when you travel from Lubec, Maine to Campobello, New Brunswick you should set your watch ahead one hour.
Crossing the Border: When entering Canada, it is necessary to cross through Canadian Customs. On returning to the United States, you must pass through U.S. Customs. Read more about what travel documents to bring here, here and here (at the bottom of the page).
Coming Soon - HOME Unit Study to accompany your trip!