Standardized achievement testing is one method of annual assessment that fulfills the assessment obligation under Maine homeschool law.
Standardized testing isn't the best way to measure progress for every child. However, research shows that most homeschooled students do very well with standardized testing. Testing not only evaluates how your child is progressing in various subjects, but also measures how effectively your teaching methods are working.
Use standardized test results to adjust your curriculum and teaching style, or to evaluate your child’s individual needs. If you find your child is not well suited to the testing experience, give yourself plenty of time to choose another method of annual assessment.
Any nationally normed standardized achievement test is acceptable. Below are some options.
* Are you a vendor? Your ad and a link to your website could be included here! Use this simple form to sign up.
* Seton Testing Services offers the Stanford 10 Online 2-day test with Lexile® for grades 3 – 12.
The Stanford 10 Online Achievement Test (SAT 10) is the ONLINE version of the Stanford 10, re-normed in 2018. This nationally normed, standardized achievement test is done online at your computer during a scheduled week you select at check-out up to 5 months in advance. The Stanford Online is an untimed, multiple-choice assessment that follows an easy-hard-easy question format where items are arranged to facilitate student engagement and test completion. No degree required. Seton is the Test Administrator.
* Hewitt Learning offers the PASS test.
One Stop Test Shop: Triangle Assessments
No BA is needed for online tests and they are done at your location with quick results!
• Iowa A (older version of Iowa test)
• TerraNova (also known as California Achievement Test)
• Brigance Special-needs - for those developmentally 7 years or younger
• Woodcock-Johnson by zoom
• Iowa Short Practice (These can be used for Stanford and TerraNova practice also.)
* Family Learning Organization offers the Stanford 10™ Online test, TerraNova® 2nd Edition (CAT/6), TerraNova® 1st Edition (CTBS), and the California Achievement Test (CAT/5®)
The Stanford 10™ Online is an untimed, multiple choice test that takes on average 4.5 hours to complete. The testing window for the SAT10™ Online is April 1st through July 31st each year, and you may schedule up to 8 months in advance. Priced at $40, this is a great option for those looking for an online test!
Paper tests (TerraNova® 2nd Edition (CAT/6), TerraNova® 1st Edition (CTBS), and the California Achievement Test (CAT/5®)) range from $30-40, are mailed to you, and may be kept for up to 2 weeks and proctored at home. Depending on the grade level, paper tests take between 2 to 5 hours to complete. All the tests are multiple choice format and timed, but in some cases accommodations, such as no timing, may be provided. Feel free to look at our site for more info on each test, or give us a call (800) 405-8378!
* Homeschool Boss offers the NWEA MAP Growth Test.
MAP Growth assessments are cross-grade K-12 tests that are taken online, at home, at a time most convenient for you.
All Assessments Include:
☼ Option to add Language Usage assessment for an additional $10
☼ Option to add Science assessment for an additional $20
☼ Score reports that include your student’s Percentile Ranking, Lexile Levels, and 30-60 pages of personalized learning statements outlining what your student is ready to learn
* At Classical Conversations, testing is one small part of a larger vision to help parents assess the heart, mind, and soul of their children. For this reason, we emphasize the skill of test-taking rather than the outcome. Repeated practice removes fear from the test-taking experience. Test results merely allow parent and child to celebrate progress and discover areas for growth.
Any homeschool student, whether enrolled in a Classical Conversations community or not, may test with Homeschool Testing Services. We have been facilitating standardized testing for groups of homeschool students since 2008. In 2015, 10,000 students tested with us in 300 on-site locations, and 70 online testing events. Well-qualified and experienced Test Coordinators and Proctors contract with us to provide you a relaxed and easy testing experience.
We now offer multiple testing options. In community, students may test using either the Stanford-10 or CTP4 academic achievement tests. Both are nationally-accredited and norm-referenced tests. For families who can't get to their local community for testing, we also offer the Stanford Online Test.
Want to learn more? Visit our website: http.//www.homeschooltestingservices.com